Jump to the Menu Area Jump to the Content Area


How is the amount of my benefits determined?
How do I change my address?
When will I get paid?
How do I get paid?
How can I find out if my payment has been issued?
What are some reasons payments may be denied?
What is a one-week waiting period?
Can I work part time and receive benefits?
Will other income impact my benefits?
What if I have been ordered to pay child support?
What happens if I am overpaid?
What do I do if I go back to work full time?
What are extended benefits?
What is trade adjustment assistance?
Are my benefits taxable?

How is the amount of my benefits determined?

When you file a new claim application, your work history will be reviewed to determine if you have earned enough wages to qualify for unemployment.

  • Your benefit year is the one-year period in which you may claim unemployment benefits, beginning on the Sunday of the first week in which you file your initial claim and ending one year later.

Example: You file your initial claim on Thursday, February 18. Your benefit year begins that Sunday, February 14 and ends the following year on Sunday, February 13.

If you have earned enough wages to qualify for benefits, you will be entitled to receive regular unemployment benefits for those weeks when you are either totally or partially unemployed and meet all requirements. We determine the amount you can receive based on the wages you earned during your base period.

  • Base period = 12 months or the first four of the last completed five quarters you were employed.

Example: If your claim was effective on February 14, 2015, your base period would be the 4th quarter of 2013 and the 1st, 2nd and 3rd quarters of 2014. (see chart below).

Computing Your Benefit Amount Image

To calculate your weekly benefit amount (WBA):

  • Multiply your highest quarter wages from your base period by 4.25 percent.

Note: There is a minimum and a maximum WBA set by Kansas law.

  • If your calculated WBA is higher than the current maximum, you will receive the maximum WBA.
  • If your calculated WBA is less than the current minimum benefit amount, you will receive the minimum WBA.

For example, if your wages were:

Base Period Earnings Wages
4th quarter $ 9,580 (Your highest earnings quarter)
1st quarter $ 6,500
2nd quarter $ 5,000
3rd quarter $ 4,500
Total Base Period Wages $ 25,580

$9,580 × 4.25% = $407 is the WBA in this example.

To qualify for benefits you must have been paid wages from insured employment in at least two quarters with the total of your wages being at least 30 times your weekly benefit amount (WBA). Insured work is work performed for employers who are required to pay unemployment insurance tax on your wages.

Using the example above:
30 × $407 (WBA) = $12,210 Total base period wages are: $25,580

In this example, you would qualify for unemployment insurance benefits because the total base period wages are more than 30 times the weekly benefit amount.

Your total benefit amount (TBA) is the total amount of regular unemployment benefits you can receive during your benefit year. Your TBA is the lower amount of two calculations.

For example:

Calculation #1 Multiply your weekly benefit amount times 16
$407 (WBA) × 16 = $6,512
Calculation #2 Divide the total of your base period wages by 3
Total base period wages: $9,580 + $6,500 + $5,000 + $4,500 = $25,580
$25,580 ÷ 3 = $8,526
$6,512 is the total benefit amount since it is less than $8,526.

Note: You cannot file two consecutive, or back-to-back, claims unless you have worked since filing your first claim and earned eight times your new calculated weekly benefit amount. You should contact a claims specialist at the Kansas Unemployment Contact Center if you have questions about these requirements.

How do I change my address?
  • The fastest and easiest way to change your address and other account information is online. You may also contact the Kansas Unemployment Contact Center with your address change request, but be prepared to wait on hold.
  • We must know whenever you change your address to ensure you receive your Form 1099-G for income tax purposes and other important information. Mail from the Kansas Department of Labor cannot be forwarded by the Post Office.
  • You can change your address on an inactive claim by calling or writing to the Kansas Unemployment Contact Center (PO Box 3539, Topeka, KS 66603). Include your name, Social Security number, previous address, new address and your signature.

When will I be paid?
  • You will normally be paid two to three business days following the filing and acceptance of your weekly claim.
  • Payments will not always arrive on the same day each week.
  • Holidays or temporary holds pending agency investigations of outstanding issues may delay payments.

Note: You must continue to file your weekly claim while an investigation is in progress.

How do I get paid?
  • You must file a weekly claim to be eligible for payment every week. Payments will be made if all eligibility requirements have been met.
  • Weekly claims for payments are filed for each calendar week, Sunday through Saturday,and can be filed beginning at noon on Sunday through 10:15 p.m. on Monday, 7 a.m. to 10:15 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, and 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Saturday.
  • Your claim becomes inactive if you miss filing a weekly claim for payment or do not have any activity on your claim for 14 calendar days. Refer to: How do I reopen my claim after I stopped filing?
  • Claims are paid through a debit card.

How can I find out if my payment has been issued?

You can obtain information concerning the status of your claim anytime through our Web site by selecting the "Check Claim Status" option, or through our telephone weekly claims line. You can receive the following information:

  • the last three weeks you claimed
  • the date and amount of your payment
  • the amount of benefits remaining
  • If a payment was not issued, the system may be able to tell you the reason
  • If the amount of your payment is reduced because of other earnings, pensions, child support deductions or any other reasons, the system will tell you the amount of the deduction and the reason for it.

What are some reasons payments may be denied?

See Eligibility and Disqualifications FAQs

What is a one-week waiting period?

Kansas law requires you to serve a one-week, non-payable waiting period for each new unemployment benefit year. To count as your waiting period week, you must file a weekly claim and be eligible for benefits for the week.

Note: The waiting period will be waived and payment will be made if you are laid off due to lack of work because of any of the following:

  • the employer terminated business operations in Kansas
  • the employer declared bankruptcy
  • the employer indicated a layoff subject to the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act

Failure to file a weekly claim or to meet the eligibility requirements will result in the waiting period week not being served or paid if exempt.

Can I work part time and receive benefits?

You may receive some benefits for a week in which you work less than full time and earn less than your weekly benefit amount.

  • You must look for and be able and available to work.
  • You must report your gross wages (wages before deductions) and not your take-home pay. This includes any wages received as a Reservist for weekend drill and annual training participation.
  • All wages from employment must be reported during the week when the wages are earned, not when they are received.
  • You may earn up to 25 percent of your weekly benefit amount (WBA) without a reduction to your unemployment benefits.
  • Any earnings over 25 percent of your WBA will be deducted from your unemployment benefits on a dollar-for-dollar basis.
  • The benefits that are payable to you are rounded to the next lowest dollar amount.
  • If your gross wages equal or are more than your WBA, the 25 percent allowance will not apply.

Example 1: Wages LESS THAN 25 percent of your WBA

$100 (WBA) × 25 percent = $25

Your Wages = $10 for the week
$10 is LESS than $25, therefore, no deduction is made.
Your unemployment payment will be issued in the amount of $100.

Example 2: Wages MORE THAN 25 percent of your WBA

$100 (WBA) × 25 percent = $25

Your Wages = $60 for the week
$60 is MORE then $25, therefore,

$60 − $25 = $35
$100 (WBA) − $35 = $65
Your unemployment payment will be issued in the amount of $65.

Will other income impact my benefits?
  • Vacation, holiday and separation pay may reduce or delay your unemployment benefits when paid. If you receive these types of pay while claiming unemployment benefits, you must report this information when you file your initial application and weekly claim for payment.
  • Certain retirement pensions will reduce your weekly benefit if the employment you are receiving the pension from is also your base period employment (the first four of the last five completed calendar quarters).
  • If you are receiving a pension, you may download and complete the form titled "Pension Statement" or you may report the pension to a claims specialist through the Kansas Unemployment Contact Center.
  • If your pension reduces your weekly benefit amount, you will receive a "Notice of Determination" to let you know of this reduction.

Examples of pensions that may reduce your benefits include:

  • Military retirement
  • Private employer pension
  • Federal civilian pension
  • State, county or city pension

Note: Social Security benefits will not reduce your weekly benefit amount.

What if I have been ordered to pay child support?

If you are responsible for court-ordered child support payments and are in arrears, the Kansas Department for Children and Families will initiate an order to take part of your unemployment insurance benefits.

  • Initially, the order will take 50 percent of your benefits each week.
  • For more information please call the Child Support Call Center at  888-757-2445.
  • To view payments made and received, contact the Kansas Payment Center at 877-572-5722  or visit their website at www.kspaycenter.com.

Note: Please DO NOT call the Kansas Unemployment Contact Center because they will be unable to assist in answering any questions about child support cases.

What happens if I am overpaid?

If you receive benefits you are not entitled to, you are required to repay the benefits, even if someone else made the mistake that caused the overpayment.

  • If it is reported you were paid benefits for any week that you were employed and you did not report those wages or reported the wages incorrectly, we must investigate. You will be asked to provide information so we can determine what action needs to be taken.
  • If an overpayment is discovered, the agency will mail a notice to you explaining why you were overpaid and the amount that must be repaid.
  • If you believe the decision is incorrect, you have the right to appeal the decision. You must contact our Recovery Unit at 785-296-3609 to arrange to repay any overpayment.
  • You may pay it back in a lump sum, or you can request a payment plan to pay over time.
  • If you are still claiming benefits, your overpayment will be deducted from your weekly unemployment payments until the overpayment is repaid. This means you will be without unemployment benefits until the overpayment is paid back. In addition, any state tax refund you may be due will be applied to the overpayment in each year an overpayment remains.

It is to your advantage to repay overpayments as soon as possible.

  • Kansas law requires that we collect interest on your overpayment, which over time will increase the amount you must repay.

Please direct your questions concerning overpayments and repayment methods to the Asset Recovery Unit at 785-296-3609.

All unemployment claims are subject to random audits.

  • If your claim is selected for an audit, an auditor will contact you to review your claim.
  • The auditor also will contact former employers to verify payroll records and to verify the reason you became unemployed.
  • Employers you contacted for a job will be asked to verify that you were looking for work.

Note: This is to ensure that only eligible claimants receive unemployment benefits and that each claimant is paid the proper amount.

What do I do if I go back to work full-time?

If you return to work full time or have gross earnings (wages before deductions) that equal or exceed your weekly benefit amount, you should stop filing weekly claims, and your claim will become inactive.

If you are unemployed again within the same benefit year, or if your hours are reduced and your gross pay is less than your weekly benefit amount, you can file a claim against your remaining balance.

  • You will not have a one-week waiting period if you have already filed for the waiting period week.
  • If your benefits were exhausted the first time you filed, and your benefit year has not ended, you will not be eligible for further benefits until the benefit year ends. At that time, you may file an application to establish a new benefit year. Refer to "Filing an application for unemployment"

What are extended benefits?

When available, extended benefits allow you to claim additional weeks of unemployment benefits after all regular benefits have been exhausted and you have not yet obtained employment.

What is Trade Adjustment Assistance?

The Federal Trade Act provides several benefits under the Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) program. Trade Readjustment Allowances (TRA) is one of the benefits covered under TAA.

  • TRA provides additional income support to individuals who qualify after their regular unemployment benefits are exhausted.
  • TRA is available to workers who are adversely affected by a trade-impacted employer.
    • The trade-impacted employer must be covered under a certification of group eligibility.
    • Certification of group eligibility is a group of workers of a firm or subdivision of a firm that have been certified by the U.S. Department of Labor as eligible to apply for TAA benefits.
  • Contact the Kansas Unemployment Contact Center or a Workforce Center if you think you may qualify for these benefits.

Are my benefits taxable?

Unemployment insurance is taxable income and must be reported on your federal and state income tax returns.

Note: It is your responsibility to inform the Kansas Unemployment Contact Center of any address change to ensure that the 1099-G is mailed to your correct address.

  • The Form 1099-G must report the total amount of benefits paid to you in the calendar year. If you repaid some or all of those benefits in the same calendar year they were received, then you or your tax preparer will need to adjust the amount that is reportable on your federal income tax return.
    • Refer to the IRS income tax instruction booklet for further information.

Disclaimer: The information listed here does not have the effect of law or regulations, but may help answer questions you have about your claim. If you have questions or a problem with your claim that is not covered on this site, please contact the Unemployment Contact Center.